My creative sister concocted this heavenly soup and gave the recipe to me years ago. It has frequently graced my table, where my guests experience God’s peace.
Someone once said that a meal at my home is like going to a spiritual spa. With God’s help, I nourish both the body and soul elegantly!
My vision for this blog is to sustain people with wholesome food through the written word; thus, they will build strong bodies.
However, I am fully aware that a vibrant physique isn’t enough to insure complete health-that of body, mind, emotions, relationships, and finances. How clear it is: we miss the totality of this by lack of knowledge! My desire is that vital truth, which sets people free, will be revealed to all.
A specific prayer, which establishes this verity, has come to me in a Scripture. I see a means for the Spirit of God to release this needed life, to everyone, in Isaiah 30:21, KJV: …yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers: and thine ears shall hear the word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.
Indeed only God can liberate all. We as individuals can directly reach but a few. However the Holy Spirit can move without restriction, when our faith releases him to do so. Our petitions can reach every last man on earth with the power of his word, when we ask believing.
My lavish meals feed many, both physically and spiritually; my blog contacts a good number more. However, my prayers expand to Uganda, England, Germany, Peru, Kenya-to mention a few of the nations that constitute the cry of my heart. Our absolute faith in the word provides for the desperate in India, whom I have carefully covered for years.
Our Father redeems all that we ask for in complete trust. This is his greatest pleasure and highest priority. My steadfast petition is that my writings/recipes will eradicate our health deficiencies-first those in our bodies and then in every other area of our lives. God bless our journey together in this!
My favorite way to entertain is by having only one or two guests: the conversation is most intimate then. I always keep individual containers of soup, which hold 2-3 servings, in my freezer; thus, it is easy to serve at my small dinner parties.
I suggest you buy a 3 1/2-pound squash and save 1-pound of it for next week’s recipe, sautéed squash with curried yogurt sauce. If you have leftovers of the soup, freeze some for unexpected visitors.
Butternut Squash Soup Yields: 8-10 servings. Total preparation time: 1 ½ hr/ active prep time: 30 min/ cooking time: 1 hr.
2 tbsp oil (Coconut or avocado oil is best.)
1 extra lg or 2 med onions, chopped
2 1/2 lb butternut squash, unpeeled and cut in chunks (I prefer organic; you may buy an extra pound to cover next week’s recipe.)
2 quarts bone broth (See recipe for this power food at Tortellini Soup, 2016/10/10, or substitute two 1-liter boxes of chicken broth.)
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg (Freshly ground nutmeg is best.)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
1 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste (Himalayan, pink, or Real Salt is best; available in the health section of your local supermarket.)
1/4 tsp white pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add a small piece of onion; when it sizzles, add the rest of the onions and sweat (cook until translucent).
- Meanwhile clean squash with an inexpensive, effective vegetable spray (a mixture of 97% white distilled vinegar and 3% hydrogen peroxide); spray squash, let sit for 3 minutes, rinse extra well.
- Cut unpeeled squash in chunks. Be sure to remove the seeds first. Add to cooked onions.
- Pour broth in pot. Add spices, fresh ginger, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil, over medium/high heat. Reduce heat, uncover, and simmer for 40-50 minutes, or until squash is very soft (see above photo). Check for flavor during cooking and adjust spices to taste.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender. (This is also known as a blender-on-a-stick; available at Bed, Bath and Beyond at a moderate price.)
- Adjust seasonings, serve hot, freeze any leftovers.